Insurance for Digital Freelancers


Be like Batman! Make sure that you are covered legally by having insurance. There are many types out there but here are the two you really need:

Professional Indemnity

What is it?

Professional Indemnity Insurance is the first type of insurance you should consider when delving into the freelance world. It protects you from claims arising from a professional service you provided from your business.  

This may be:

  • Actual or alleged misleading or deceptive conduct.
  • Defamation, slander or libel.
  • Breach of intellectual property or trade secret whether registered or unregistered, including but not limited to trade marks, designs, patents and copyright.
  • Breach of privacy or duty of confidentiality.

Do I need it?

100%. Digital freelancers provide services in many forms and it is important that you protect your business in the event that you encounter any of the items mentioned. To help prevent any of these claims, it is important that you also write them in your terms of service.

Tools and Equipment

What is it?

Tools and Equipment Insurance is another consideration, particularly for a digital freelancer. The work of a digital freelancer is predominantly on computers and some of there can get very expensive to replace. This may come under different names as well including just the general business insurance or office insurance.  This type of insurance may cover you for broken, damaged, lost or even stolen equipment as well as repair or replacement costs. Make sure to read carefully what the insurer is providing you before agreeing to take the offer.

Do I need it?

Of course! Your equipment is the bread and butter of your entire service. You would not be able to operate without it. Remember, be like Batman!

There are many types of insurance policies that can be offered to a small business. It is important to assess whether you require te insurance before purchasing. For example: Working from your home which you have purchased home and contents insurance probably means your equipment is already covered so you may not need to purchase it at all! Whatever the case, read your policy!